You did it, you shot a gorgeous wedding with gorgeous details and want to submit it to Style Me Pretty! It can be so intimidating if you don’t know the right steps to take to get published on your favorite wedding blog. So here’s a few tips for the photographer!
1. Take good photos. Clean, polished, not over exposed, and edited. Make sure you have plenty of detail shots of the decor, bouquet, and any little details that make the wedding unique. Don’t be afraid to pick up a party favor and take it outside to take photos of it in good light. Style Me Pretty is all about inspiring brides, so make sure you have INSPIRING photos!
2. Pick out 100-150 of your best photos that tell the story of the day. Make sure you’re including lots of detail shots and not just Bride & Groom photos. Size your photos at 900px wide, 72 dpi. Make sure none are canvassed together.
3. Ask your bride to write up a story of her inspiration behind the wedding day. You want to include anything interesting, but don’t be too long and overwhelming. Email her an example of a story you love from SMP. Get a a unique angle. Include any DIY elements. Did the Bride wear her mother’s wedding dress? Was anything hand-made? Were there any design elements that had sentimental significance? All of these things are inspiring for brides planning their weddings, and are what editors are looking for. Lots of people don’t feel comfortable writing, so help out your Bride by editing her story, or suggesting things about the day that you thought were amazing. Think of the types of stories you enjoy reading and infuse your story with the same romantic imagery, excitement, and passion. Trust me, you don’t have to be a writer to do this! Remember those things called adjectives you learned about in first grade? Well, use them. Instead of writing “We met in CA, fell in love, and moved to Australia”, write “Our love story began when a girl from Chicago met a charming boy from Dallas in Los Angeles. We both loved the beach and loved to travel, which led us to taking a leap of faith and moving to Australia together. Little did we know that it was just the beginning of our adventure of a lifetime! ” Help your Bride infuse it!
4. While the Bride is working on her story, gather your vendor names and websites. Make sure to include the venue, hair and makeup artists, wedding dress, shoes, bridesmaid dresses, groom suit, cinematography, event design, event coordinator, floral design, invitations/paper goods, entertainment/DJ, catering, cake, and officiant. If they have car rentals, special lighting, dancers, or anything else of note, make sure to include that as well.
5. Upload your images and submit your vendor info and Bride’s story here. Style Me Pretty has an awesome uploader designed just for their submissions. Once you get access to the submission page, under the “Description” tab, you will see boxes for “Title”, “Description”, and “Credits”. For the “Title”, I suggest making it easy on the editors by labeling your wedding with a descriptive word that you want to capture their attention. For example, on our most recent feature, I titled it “SMP inspired DIY Santa Monica, CA wedding” -the two things I wanted the editors to know was that the bride was crazy about Style Me Pretty and designed her whole wedding based off of SMP inspiration, and that she incorporated lots of DIY details based on her SMP inspiration. SMP editors look at literally hundreds of weddings every week, so I want mine to stand out as much as possible even in the title. This wedding was also vintage and hollywood glam inspired, but I know that there are tons of vintage inspired weddings right now, so I chose what would stand out the most. Think about the style that your wedding falls into, and use that for your title. Is your wedding rustic, DIY inspired, elegant, charming, whimsical, modern, retro, contemporary, budget-friendly, backyard, have cultural elements, or anything else that comes to mind? Find one or two words and label it as so! Also include city and state in your title to make it easy on the editors.
In “Description”, write a little introduction from you as the photographer. Be friendly, concise, and include one or two things to note. For example, “Hello SMP! The thing I love the most about this wedding is that Style Me Pretty is where the Bride found us, from a Real Wedding! She is an avid fan of SMP and as a bride-to-be got much of her inspiration from you. This gorgeous wedding could be summed up as: Vintage California meets Hollywood Glam. Locations include the famous Viceroy hotel. Thank you for your consideration! ” After your introduction, write “From the Bride, bride’s name” and include your story. And of course, in the “Credits section”, include your vendors and vendor websites.
Some other tips and things to note: Be sweet to everyone! Thank your Bride so much for taking the time to write out the story. Don’t be annoying or nagging and help her as much as possible. Be nice to the editors at SMP! Thank them for taking the time to look at your submission and don’t get upset if your wedding doesn’t get picked up. There are so many factors taken into consideration for wedding blogs, and even if you have an amazing wedding and gorgeous photos, it might not be picked up for a number of reasons. Maybe there was a similar wedding just featured and they need something new. It’s also important to note that SMP is an exclusive wedding blog, which means that they do not accept features that have been published anywhere else besides the photographer’s personal blog. Also if you are not the photographer, you need to ask the photographer permission before submitting the wedding. For more information and helpful tips, check out Style Me Pretty’s submission page.
I hope this was helpful!! Now, go get featured, and then make sure to let me know about it! : )